The 500-Calorie Diet
You can eat and drink the following foods and beverages in any order
throughout the day — but no more than time items in one sitting. Ensure that you
eat all of the foods listed. You won't lose faster by eating less.
- Water, tea or coffee in any quantity without sugar.
- Only one tablespoonful of milk allowed in 24 hours.
- 100 grams (3½ ounces) of veal, beef, turkey, chicken breast, fresh white
fish, lobster, crab or shrimp. All visible fat must be carefully removed
before cooking. Meat must be weighed raw and boiled or grilled without
- One type of vegetable or a salad, consisting of the following: spinach,
chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions,
red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli or cauliflower. Salsa
can be used as a dressing or another part of a vegetable or fruit.
- One breadstick (Grissini) or 3–4 Melba toasts. (These can be found at
your local grocer’s with other crackers.)
- An apple or a handful of strawberries or other berries (1 cup) or ½
grapefruit or 1 orange.
Stevia and Xyletal may be used in the 500-Calorie Diet. These are great on
your salad or in drink mixes to add some variety to your water.
The juice of 1 lemon daily is allowed for all purposes. Salt, pepper, vinegar
(red cider, balsamic and wine), mustard powder, garlic, sweet basil, parsley,
thyme, majoram, etc., may be used for seasoning, but no oil, butter or dressing.
Drink about 1 gallon of fluids per day. Many patients are afraid to drink a
full gallon because they fear it may make them retain more water, which is an
incorrect notion. The body is more inclined to store water when it is
1 Day’s Meals, for example:
- Breakfast – Apple
- Lunch – Chicken Salad
- Mid-Afternoon Snack – Berries
- Dinner – Steak & Celery
- Snacks throughout the day – Melba Snacks
- If you’re still hungry, eat more veggies. (Hunger is more likely in the